AIRBUS DEFENCE AND SPACE
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group. We develop and engineer cutting-edge products in the fields of defence and space. Our products and services enable governments and institutions to protect natural resources, societies, and individual freedom, to guarantee sovereignty and to monitor climate, crops and national borders.
The PASSAGES Project is part of the business unit Integrated Systems located in Ulm / Germany that manages maritime and ground based surveillance and defence projects.
The Airbus D&S engineering team involved in the PASSAGES Project is part of the department of data fusion and surveillance. This department has proven competencies in the following areas:
- Algorithms: the merger of large heterogeneous data from very various sensors (land, sea and air based); the tracking of individual objects and groups of objects in many different environments, the automatic identification and classification of objects
- Generation of maritime domain awareness for military and civilian applications
- Threat analysis and automated warnings
- Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) systems
- Integration of thousands of components into a complete system
- Coordinating and managing many international sub-contractors
The Airbus D&S team investigates the characteristics and capabilities of many sensors to identify suitable candidates for monitoring vessel traffic in the Northwest Passages; develops protocols and algorithms for the effective merger of diverse sensor data sets and of contextual data (i.e. ice and weather forecasts); makes a concept for the visualization of targets, their tracks and characteristics; and assumes the role of the project coordinator.
The range of tasks includes the following points:
- Testing of existing and new sensors / resources on their suitability and complementarity (together with the group of FKIE-SDF)
- Participation in the development of new data fusion algorithms
- Acquisition of system knowledge
- Design of a situation picture
- Integration of visualization for all relevant system elements
- Creation and maintenance of system documents (concept of operations, system architecture)